Premature Ejaculation Treatment
Many experts believe that PE is probably under-diagnosed as many men find it difficult to openly discuss it with their care providers.
Premature ejaculation (PE) treatment is a component of the services of Precision Sexual Health Clinic for Men. We offer multiple treatments for PE and provide solutions including penile frenulectomy as well as topical and oral medication.
Once men realize that PE is a common and treatable condition they are pleased to have rapid access to innovative treatments, and results.
What is Premature Ejaculation?
Premature Ejaculation (PE), also referred to as early or rapid ejaculation, is defined by the International Society for Sexual Medicine (ISSM) as “a male sexual dysfunction characterized by ejaculation which always or nearly always occurs prior to or within about one minute of vaginal penetration, and the inability to delay ejaculation on all or nearly all vaginal penetrations.”
It often causes significant anxiety and frustration for the couple and can lead to avoidance of sexual intimacy.
Premature ejaculation is traditionally categorized into either Lifelong PE or Acquired PE. Patients with lifelong PE could never achieve a normal ejaculatory experience, often ejaculating in less than 1 minute. In the case of acquired PE, there is usually a contributory factor such as performance anxiety that causes rapid ejaculation in otherwise healthy individuals. Patients with acquired PE may experience an ejaculatory time of less than 3 minutes. While premature ejaculation is more common in younger men, it can happen at any age.
Diagnosis of Premature Ejaculation
- Ejaculation occurs too quickly, often in the first few minutes of intercourse, or in other sexual situations, even during masturbation.
- Inability to delay ejaculation most of the time.
- Feelings of anxiety, or avoidance of sexual intimacy as a result.
Both psychological and biological factors can play a role in premature ejaculation. Although many men feel embarrassed talking about it, premature ejaculation is a common and treatable condition.
Causes & Consequences of Premature Ejaculation
The exact cause of premature ejaculation is still uncertain however, many believe that Lifelong PE is believed to be a result of penile hypersensitivity, while acquired PE is often caused by a complex neurochemical and psychological disturbance. In addition, there are some speculations that PE may also be affected by genetic, ethnic, and cultural factors for which further scientific evidence is required.
Premature ejaculation involves a complex interaction of psychological and biological factors.
Psychological Causes of PE
Psychological factors that might play a role include:
- Early sexual experiences.
- Sexual abuse.
- Poor body image.
- Worrying about premature ejaculation.
- Guilty feelings that increase your tendency to rush through sexual encounters.
- Relationship problems between you and your current partner.
- Anxiety related to sexual performance or other issues..
Biological Causes of Premature Ejaculation
A number of biological factors might contribute to premature ejaculation, including:
- Frenulum breve – a tight band of tissue connecting the glans (head of the penis) to the shaft of the penis on its underside. When the frenulum is tight or short this is called a frenulum breve.
- Abnormal hormone levels.
- Abnormal levels of brain chemicals called neurotransmitters.
- Inflammation and infection of the prostate or urethra.
- Inherited traits.
- Erectile dysfunction.
Consequences of Premature Ejaculation
Premature ejaculation can cause problems in a man’s personal life, including:
- Stress and relationship problems – A common complication of premature ejaculation is relationship stress.
- Fertility problems – Premature ejaculation can occasionally make fertilization difficult for couples who are trying to have a baby if ejaculation doesn’t occur intravaginally.
- Erectile dysfunction – studies have also shown that up to 30% of men with premature ejaculation also have difficulties getting or maintaining an erection.
the Precision program
Leverage advanced methods and techniques for your patients.
PE Treatment Options at Precision Sexual Health Clinic for Men
An individualized treatment plan will be determined for each patient after a thorough medical examination and consultation and with consideration of the patient’s goals, values and preferences.
At Precision clinics, we offer a wide variety of treatment options. Our aim is to provide a treatment plan for premature ejaculation including a variety of topical and oral medications, as well as the surgical option of penile frenulectomy when indicated. Psychosexual and behavioural therapy with a sex therapist may also be recommended.
There are a variety of pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatment options for premature ejaculation.